Saturday, July 14, 2007

Meet Wonky



This is Wonky, aptly named because he is very wonky. He is supposed to be a sausage dog, and when I sewed his body parts together, Josh said that it looked awful. I knitted him using Blue Sky Alpacas sport weight alpaca and this adorable pattern from Mochimochi Land. The pattern forced me out of the safety of my scarf-knitting limits, making me learn how to knit in the round, which uses a scary amount of needles at one time. It took me quite a while to get used to using four needles at once, but once I figured out how to arrange the needles and work, everything sped along. The body parts actually don't take too long to make; I just procrastinated on stuffing him and sewing the pieces together. And then I procrastinated some more about giving Wonky a face, having this weird misshapen pink hot dog hanging out in my knitting bag. A little creepy actually.



I embroidered his face on this evening and when I was done, I put him on the table for the first time, only to find that he tilts to his left and not all four of his feet touch the table at the same time. I also discovered that I embroidered his eyes on the front of his face, rather than the side like in the original pattern. I'm also rather unsure as to how his ears are of different lengths. Maybe I counted my rows wrong? But it's okay! His flaws are charming and I can say that his head tilt gives him a "quizzical brow," to borrow Elizabeth Bennet's expression. Can you tell I was watching Pride and Prejudice while giving Wonky a face?

I'm already working on a second sausage dog so that I can start linking sausages together. I hope to have at least three soon!

1 comment:

Ellie & Jasmine said...

You are going to have to teach me how to do all this fabulousness sometime! I want to try but have no direction whatsoever =P

And what an odd squirrel. Freat pic though with the cats watching!