Sunday, August 12, 2007

A birthday like no other

For my birthday, I took Friday off from work so Josh and I could get an early start down to PA to visit Annette and Mark for the weekend.

We dined at Cuba Libre on Friday evening, and the food made me want to find a great Cuban restaurant close to us. Sadly, there aren't any in Park Slope, but there are some I'm going to look at in Manhattan.

Yesterday, on my actual birthday, Annette and Mark taught me how to shoot a gun and were fantastic instructors on the basics and gun safety. I found out that I'm a real wuss and prefer to stay with the .22 caliber pistol because I found myself being afraid of the recoil that I knew was coming with the larger caliber pistol. I would definitely go again, but without the rednecks in the lane next to us rapid firing a shotgun at five yards and screaming "WOOOOOOO! That's a mean gun!" afterward.

After the range, we went to Ikea in this weird-named town and on the car ride, I suddenly realized how tiring shooting really is, and we'd been there for just over an hour. I've been lusting after these bowls for a while and I was determined to get them even though Josh kept asking, "Do you really need them" and "Where would you put them in our tiny apartment?" And guess what? On a mission to obtain a curtain rod and curtain, I came away with not only my desired bowls, but its accessory set, four white soup bowls (to replace our dumb flared lip ones), two big glass bowls, and two smaller glass bowls. Most of our china (if I can even call it that) is from a cheapo set we got for Josh's senior year at Rutgers and the rest is this horrible outdated set from Josh's parents. And we had swedish meatballs!

We made good time back to Brooklyn today and lounged about for a while, took a cat nap, and walked to Barnes and Noble so that Josh could stock up on his fantasy football research material, and I went because he said he'd buy me a book. Unlucky for him, he didn't specify how much I could spend.

1 comment:

Jennie said...

Yay! Glad you had such a nice birthday! I can't believe you shot a gun. I've never even touched a gun. Don't know that I want to. But snaps for trying it.

IKEA is the best. They're supposedly opening one in Charlotte, but it will probably be a decade or so before it actually happens. :( Julie's all excited because Martha Stewart has a new line at Macy's, so we might head over there someday and see about getting some nicer china for us too. :)