Saturday, July 01, 2006

Super weekend!

Hurray for four-day weekends!

Yesterday, Josh and I saw Superman Returns. I've never been a fan of the original Superman movies. I attribute my dislike mostly to Lois Lane, both the character and Margot Kidder. The acting in those movies was a little dorky too. All of the characters seemed fake, like they knew they weren't real and just being played by a bunch of actors.

However, this time around, the acting was good, and Superman didn't seem like some actor walking around in a tight blue and red costume. I don't know if it was Bryan Singer's magical touch or Brandon Routh and James Marsden playing the Superman/Lois Lane/Richard White love triangle so well, but it really worked (Richard White is too good for Lois Lane, that hussy)! And Routh and Marsen are both very nummy guys. Plus, I liked James Marsden playing a strong male character who didn't cry all the time, like he did in the X-Men movies.

Kevin Spacey played a better Lex Luthor. I thought Gene Hackman was a big goofball as Luthor, like he was trying to be comic relief. Spacey made Luthor a real dark villain. Parker Posey picked up the role of Kitty, and I don't think she changed the character very much from the original movies. I'm glad she wasn't a completely "bad" character.

While I still don't like Lois Lane, the dumbest reporter EVER, Kate Bosworth was a softer version, and I appreciated the non-manly aggressive version of Lois Lane. I still don't understand how the Clark Kent disguise fools anybody, especially Lois Lane (yet again, dumbest reporter ever... never mind, just dumb in general). It's just a pair of glasses! He doesn't even try disguising his voice (like Bruce Wayne and Batman). Maybe all of this is why Superman still isn't my favorite comic book hero. The X-Men are still my favorite (just don't count X3 into that).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

In my mythology reading/wandering, I've come across a theory that the demons of Batman and the X-Men are something that more people feel they can identify with, as opposed to the sugary perfection of Superman, which is why Superman is not as universally well-liked. Besides which, he's non-human...Batman and the X-Men, they could be 'us'.