Thursday, November 30, 2006

Cupcakes, cupcakes everywhere



I've completed my assignment.

72 cupcakes for an office party. Well, I'm actually delivering 76 because that's how many fit into the boxes. I heard that the invitation went to 75 people, so I should be covering myself by delivering 76, and only 72 were ordered anyways. As you can see, I'm worrying.

I'm worrying because this assignment wasn't for fun - it was the first time I had been offered a commission to bake something. If it works out, somebody else could hire me to cater dessert (I hope in a smaller quantity).



The original order was 72 vanilla cupcakes with chocolate and vanilla buttercream frosting, all made from scratch. Last night, I decided to make about 2 dozen chocolate cupcakes for some variety as well. Let's make things more difficult and complicated! At least I didn't go forward with the red velvet cupcake plan. Maybe for the Christmas party though... Anyways, I used the Magnolia chocolate cupcake recipe. The batter very different from what I expected. It was really fluffy, almost mousse-like. The cakes turned out very soft, which is something I don't like in a cupcake because frosting becomes quite difficult. The vanilla ones were from an Ina Garten recipe and they were a bit more dense and easier to frost.

And then to make things more difficult for when I have to set up for the party, I had to have sprinkles, because if people are paying for cupcakes, they should get sprinkles, dammit!

No comments: