Tuesday, January 16, 2007

Long weekend cooking

On Friday, I had a grand plan to make a fancy filet of beef bourguignon dinner. Josh has been taking a rough intersession course (a whole semester crammed into 8 days) that lasts from 5-9 pm after a full day of work. I got home at 6 and spent the next two hours cooking dinner. It turned out to be very tasty and nothing was really very hard. Unfortunately, I ate dinner alone, as Josh didn't bother to inform me that he was at a bar with some fellow Teaching Fellows and coworkers until he arrived home around 1:30 am. It's okay; he stumbled around the kitchen until he found the beef bourguignon in the fridge and heated a bowl for himself. I was amazed he managed the heavy pot without everything crashing/splashing to the floor.

I wanted a Sunday brunch this past weekend due to a weird craving for good pancakes or french toast. Josh refused to go to brunch, so I had to make my own instant pancake mix. I now have a stockpile of my own pancake mix for lazy Sundays. On Sunday morning, I mixed my "instant mix" with the buttermilk, eggs, and smidgen of butter. I also had only one nonstick pan, so I had to use my stainless steel pan in order to serve pancakes in a reasonable amount of time. I was a little wary of the stainless steel because I didn't feel like scraping encrusted pancake from said pan. However, I'd seen an episode of Barefoot Contessa where she made pancakes in a stainless steel pan. With a thin layer of butter, the pancakes didn't stick one bit! I was pleasantly surprised. The pancakes turned out lovely and fluffy, although our maple syrup sucked a little. I'm wondering if the blame lies in its organic nature or its Canadian origin. Give me Vermont maple syrup any day!

No comments: