Friday, July 04, 2008

No Teavana for me

I was at the mall in my home town this morning, and visited the new Teavana shop that opened where my Häagen Dazs used to be.

I'd rather they kept the Häagen Dazs.

I have no problems with nice tea; I've been ordered from Revolution Tea for some time. Teavana was giving out samples of a couple teas and when I asked how they sell it (loose? bag?), the salesgirl roped me into the store and showed me the gigantic canisters holding the loose teas. She'd open a lid and then fan it in my direction. Yeah, smells good. Then she keeps firing her schpeel at me, while waving a huge can lid, about how they sell it at a certain price (i.e. $12.00 per 2 oz), but generally sell them in 1/2 lb canisters. Uh, how about you put the per pound price on the canister then? You don't need to be an expert in math to see why you're trying to make the price seem lower.

I said I preferred my tea in individual infuser bags and she got hostile with me, "So you're saying you like canned vegetables? You know, people are getting concerned with the preservatives in their food nowadays." I said that I'd been buying organic teas from Revolution for some time and I enjoy the convenience of the single serving. She saw that I was annoyed, and said, "But we have easy ways for you to make a single serving with loose teas!" I said no thanks, and walked out, shaking my head. If she hadn't gotten so uppity with me, I may have gone for some of the tea, which was very nice, but I didn't want to have someone lecture me like a timeshare salesman to guilt me into buying some very expensive tea.

No comments: