Wednesday, July 23, 2008

SF: Day 4



The day started off slowly, as we didn't really have anywhere to be until the evening. Josh graciously allowed me to go shopping in Union Square as I needed a scarf for our evening out. Breakfast consisted of one bowtie from Happy Donut, which claimed to be have the best donuts in SF. While I can't say it was the best donut in SF, I can say that it was one of the best donuts I've ever had. It was so fresh and tasty with the perfect glaze.

After shopping, we made our way down to Fisherman's Wharf so Josh could stare at sea lions for a while. I wandered around the wharf while Josh got his fill of sea lions, and finally hunger brought us to Boudin's Bakery. We ate at the restaurant upstairs, which is pretty pricey in comparison to the street vendors, but then again, it's a beautiful restaurant with nice views of the bay. The soup in a bread bowl is larger here, as it should be, with a cost double to that of the $6 ones outside. But being able to sit down and eat in peace rather than standing in the gutter with discarded half-eaten bread bowls made the cost worth it. Speaking of the leftover bread bowls, I wonder why all the city's homeless don't make their way to the wharf and eat all the sourdough.

After lunch, we snuck into the Boudin museum. Okay, maybe not "snuck," more like there was nobody at the ticket counter and I heard an employee tell someone it's free because there's no tour guide speaking. The museum smells of dough, which is appropriate as Boudin likes to toot its mother dough horn. Every day, bakers use a portion of mother dough (dating back to 1849) to mix in with the day's baking. The mother dough is refreshed with new dough too, so don't be too grossed out.

In the evening, we had tickets for the Giants vs. Nationals at AT&T Park. The stadium is beautiful, but a lot smaller than I'm used to at Yankees Stadium. It's right on the water, and home runs get hit into the bay. I was hoping to see the feat, but none went out that way. The evening was very, very cool, making me very happy that I'd bought a scarf (actually I bought two because I couldn't decide) and worn layers under my long coat. Josh was wearing a hoodie and a fleece jacket and we were still cold, but loving it! Just think: wearing jackets at a baseball game in July and shivering!



Because we weren't that hungry, we shared an order of famous Gilroy Garlic Fries. Click on the picture above to see better, but those fries are liberally sprinkled with bits of chopped garlic. They weren't the best fries I've ever had, but the garlic flavor was amazing. Each order comes with post-garlic mints. We followed that up with Ghirardelli hot chocolates and it was a fantastic night out.

No comments: