Wednesday, August 30, 2006

Chicken with 32 Garlic Cloves




Tonight, Josh and I made Ina Garten's Chicken with 40 Garlic Cloves. Whenever I choose a Food Network recipe, I read the ratings (done by other home chefs) for that recipe before proceeding. It seemed almost everyone was pleased with the results. I disregarded the one negative opinion, where one person complained, saying it was bitter, but I think this person either used bad garlic or burned the garlic.

Anyways, Josh didn't have work today since school hasn't started yet, and he did the grocery shopping and prep work. This recipe has almost no prep work if you buy the chicken in pieces rather than disassembling two chickens yourself. The only prep to be done is peeling the 2 heads of garlic, which is facilitated by leaving them in boiling water for one minute. After that, all you have to do is brown the chicken in batches. We cut the recipe from 7 lbs. of chicken to about 4 lbs since it was just two of us and I don't have a dutch oven. However, I left the sauce proportions the same because having extra sauce and garlic is never a bad thing! After the chicken is done browning, all that's left is making the sauce and then braising the chicken in it. The garlic was all mushy and had this sweet mellow flavor.

I served it with a mesclun salad and my homemade balsamic vinaigrette., so the plate looked like something I'd get at a French bistro. All it needed was a heap of steak frites and it would've been perfect.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Mmmm. That looks so good! What was the sauce like?

Dora said...

It was gravy-like, made from the pan drippings, wine, garlic, and a teensy bit of cream. It was delicious.