Monday, August 28, 2006

Free laundry



Josh and I went back to NJ on Friday night. He had relatives visiting (the Nocheeses, to those of you who read my cruise recaps) his parents' house and I begged off, saying that I had to do the laundry (I decided to take it back to NJ instead of paying to do it) and spend time with my family.

So on Saturday, I cooked for my family. I made Ina Garten's strawberry tart, but altered the recipe a little. Instead of making a pastry crust, I made a graham cracker crust and I topped it with strawberries and raspberries (Pics will follow next week. My brother has to send them to me). The pastry cream was surprisingly light, but didn't have a lot of body to it. I'm thinking that next time, I'll add some more cornstarch. At first I thought I'd use gelatin, but then I realized that while the pastry cream cools in the fridge, the gelatin would make it set within the bowl (I pour the cream into the crust after it's cooled).

I also made a turkey lasagna (yet another Ina Garten recipe) because my parents like it so much. Last time I made it, they said it wasn't as good as the first time because I made the mistake of thinking that the generic brand of turkey sausage would be as good as the brand name kind. This time, I didn't make that mistake, and the lasagna was enjoyed by all, and accompanied by a loaf of garlic Tuscan bread from Wegman's.

1 comment:

julieree said...

free laundry is the best. one of the best things about living near your parents!

dora, i got better cable and now I can watch Ina Garten on the food network! How excited am i. But I have yet to make that turkey lasagna recipe--it looks sooooo good. and now i know not to skimp when buying the sausage. :)