Friday, September 15, 2006

Pancetta and Parmesan Torte



For dinner tonight, I made Giada de Laurentiis' pancetta and parmesan torte. It was remarkably fast and easy to make, and makes for a dramatic presentation. And pancetta baking with parmesan cheese? I cannot describe just how mouthwatering the aroma coming from the oven was.

The only problem with the recipe is that it didn't call for you to blind bake the crust (the refrigerated pre-made kind) before filling it. I found that the bottom crust was a little too soft after baking for my taste, although it was not uncooked. I was worried about this when the recipe didn't call for the crust to be blind baked, and it turns out that one of the recipe reviewers (I should've read more carefully) had this problem and said that the crust should be baked for 10-15 minutes to keep it crispy all over. I will be doing this next time.

Apart from the crust, the torte was absolutely delicious. It's super fast and simple to make. The pancetta is the only thing you have to cook. After that, it's just chopping a little parsley and mixing up the milk, cream, and eggs with the pancetta, cheese, and parsley.

I highly recommend anyone to try making this dish! It'd be great with a salad on the side.

No comments: