Tuesday, October 03, 2006

Tuesday dinner



Since Josh had to make up his Monday evening classes (they were off yesterday for Yom Kippur) tonight, I decided to be extra nice and make him a really nice dinner. I decided to try Giada de Laurentiis' farfalle with broccoli. As you can see in the picture above, I didn't use farfalle (bowtie pasta) because I already had fusilli (my favorite) at home. I was a little apprehensive about this recipe because it called for 5 anchovy fillets. I don't have a problem with anchovies, but Josh does. I remember Giada saying on the show that the anchovies melt into the sauce and don't taste fishy because as they cook, their flavor turns all nutty and delicious.

I also made my first chocolate mousse from scratch! While making the pasta dish, I had Food Network on in the background and watched Alton Brown make chocolate mousse. It looked so easy that I decided to give it a go. I had all the ingredients on hand: a block of semisweet chocolate, cream, espresso, gelatin, and butter. Well, I didn't have dark rum, so I skipped that step. It turns out that making chocolate mousse is as easy as AB made it out to be! It's so lovely and light. There's no sugar in the recipe, so it's not very sweet at all. It also isn't as dense and rich as a lot of restaurant's mousses tend to be. It was yummy and definitely one for my recipe book!

No comments: