Wednesday, November 17, 2004

Happy One Month!


They love their donut! Posted by Hello

Morty (gray) and Eli (black) have been with us for one month as of today. In case you don't know, Josh got them for me as an early Christmas present. It was a present for himself as well. I was willing to wait until Christmas to get them, but Josh couldn't stand the pressure anymore of those cute furballs at the Petco in Union Square.

I was busy with my midterms when they came into my life, so I didn't get to say much about their first days in the apartment. We adopted them from KittyKind, a no-kill, nonprofit, all volunteer cat rescue and adoption group. You "Apprentice" viewers out there might remember KittyKind's mention in the dog washing episode where Andy thought he triumphed by "closing a deal" with KittyKind to accept the percentage of profits they were offering. I don't need to be a national debate champion to convince a charity to accept money.

In just one month, we've learned so much about Morty and Eli. For example, they like to watch TV and "type" on the laptop. They like swatting their toy mice under the stove and watching me lay down on the dirty floor that I should clean and squint at the unknown wilderness that is the underside of the stove. They have cat toys galore, but they find joy in cardboard boxes and kibble. Really, kibble. They reach into the bowl, pick out one special piece, and bat it around for hours until they lose it under the stove.

Last night, Eli climbed onto the couch where I was reading, curled up next to me, and fell asleep, purring. It was the best. Josh thinks that Eli likes me more. He wakes me up in the morning now, laying on my chest, purring like crazy, and staring at me about an inch away from my face. He's learned that when he does that, I wake up and feed him and Morty. The first morning, he did it at 9:30. The next morning, 8:30, and on the third morning, 7:30. At that point, I said, "No way, it's not time to get out of bed yet!" and refused to get up. Eli proceeded to climb onto my pillow and chew on my hair.

I love them!

No comments: