Saturday, November 20, 2004

Here and Now

I was back at Rutgers tonight for the first time in a long time. While walking up the hill to Somerset Street, I saw an L bus, and it was strange seeing one again. I guess being back on the Rutgers campus made me see how much has changed since I left that school.

I guess I've hit a really low point in my first semester. I've been having doubts that I've made the correct decision. The problem is, I've made an investment already in going to law school, and it's not a small one, even for one semester. Sometimes I think that I would've been happier finding a job in New York instead. If I did that, I don't think I'd be dealing with 4-5 hours of sleep a night, or be humiliated during contracts two classes in a row. I feel really lost, no matter how much work I put into it. Aren't I supposed to be better at this stuff now that I'm not a newbie anymore?

The school has a policy to remove the bottom 25% of each section after the first semester and put them in a "remedial" lecture to go over those basics that we obviously didn't grasp. That's 40 students from my section alone! A lot of students feel as though the school is trying to make students feel as stupid as possible, such as assigning a paper and then teaching a lesson that was critical to the completion of that assignment right after it was due. I guess hearing about the possibility of being placed into that class right before finals season didn't make any of us feel that good.

I'm scared.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And I think you'll be fine. The stress of 1L, especially of that first semester does pretty much everyone in, either now before exams or later after grades come back. Whatever happens...you're still in and you're still making it. 1L is all about breaking you down, but they won't win!

That said, I'm back to my own outlines. Nothing ever makes sense until I get these done.

Good luck!

~A