Tuesday, March 28, 2006

Jury Duty: Day 1

I decided to live-blog my day at jury duty:

8:40 a.m. - Ugh. A huge waiting room. Quelle surprise.

8:42 - Ooo! They have internet access!

8:43 - Jeez, the connection is slower than dial-up.

8:45 - Finished my e-mail to my bosses saying that I forgot my cell phone. Yikes. I hope there aren't any emergencies.

8:50 - Look alive! The jury duty boss lady is giving instructions, but I'm too sleepy to pay attention to all of it. Good thing I'm never going to be a lawyer.

9:05 - Oh no, a crappy instructional video about the function of the jury.

9:07 - [watching video] Ooo, trial by ordeal! Let's throw someone in the East River and see if they float.

9:35 - Fantastic, a repetition of the same instructions all over again for the latecomers.

9:41 - Did I forget to remove the royalty information from my estimates?

9:42 - Yup, I forgot to remove the royalty information from my estimates. I could tell my boss to remove it for me, but he'll probably say something about how I should've removed it when I was done with my estimates yesterday.

9:43 - Maybe I should go in to work after jury duty's over and fix my estimates.

9:44 - No, that's stupid and my other boss is going to think I'm crazy for coming in.

9:45 - No, I'll go in and fix my estimates. It'll bug me if I don't.

9:52 - My turn to hand in my jury ballot so they can pop it into the raffle ticket spinning drum thingie. I hope I don't get picked.

10:04 - What is that smell??

10:12 - Oh, first jury selection call. Let's hope I'm not one of these 30 names.

10:17 - Whew! Dodged a bullet, or rather, 30 bullets. I should be in The Matrix.

10:45 - Why are they making us move to the other side of the room?

10:47 - Woohoo! Excused for the day! Time for some lunch and then to mosey uptown to work like a good little employee.

I didn't show up in the office until nearly 2:00. Both of my bosses were surprised to see me. One of them told me I shouldn't have come in and should actually leave early today. He told me (when I was leaving after 5:00) that if I get out early tomorrow, I shouldn't come in to work. Okay!

No comments: