Friday, March 24, 2006

Yes, another law school post

Last week, I bumped into P, my former law school study buddy. I hadn't spoken to him in a while and at first thought that he was snubbing me since I wasn't a J.D. candidate anymore. It turns out that it wasn't the case, and I told him about how Josh withdrew from law school as well. Apparently, Josh hadn't told P about it.

P told me to pass on this message to Josh: "Don't feel embarrassed that you dropped out because I'm embarrassed that I didn't leave. Now I've spent too much money to stop, and a lot of students in our section feel that way. You're lucky to have left when you did."

So while Josh's mom may ask me the obnoxious question: "Do you still like your publishing job?" (I think she secretly wishes that I'd stayed in law school and hopes that I'll go back and finish to become a law-yah - say it with the Brooklyn accent), I know that on my worst day in the office, I will still prefer the path I chose.

Or rather, the road not paved with suck-ups with noses so brown you can't resist the urge to hand them toilet paper; depressed law students; Bar review scams; inept school administrators; and pretentious professors.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

So I guess you won't go to Editorial either... hee hee!

Dora said...

No, as we've said - our dept is so wonderful that nobody leaves and somebody has to die before we can get promoted. Also, my nemesis, Mr. Snootypants of editorial, says rotten things like "People who do reprints are stupid. First printings are the only important thing."

Anonymous said...

Shouldn't Mr. Snootypants say "People who aren't snooty are stoopid. Only snootypants get to annoy the heck of everyone else" instead?

Although he'd still be wrong. Because there's always ASSistant sitting right next to you. Chortling idiotically. Sigh.