Sunday, April 30, 2006

Manly/Girly Weekend

Actually, my weekend started on Thursday with the prep work for Josh's NFL draft day party. He planned an ambitious menu with baby back ribs, turkey lasagna, lemon chicken skewers, mashed sweet potatoes, guacamole, pesto pasta salad, and chocolate chip cookies. I stayed up late on Thursday and Friday while hosting Dave and Jeff, who stayed over on Friday night rather than go all the way back home in NJ.

I can't believe I got up at 7:30 a.m. on a Saturday for a football related purpose. I didn't even get up that early for football games when I was in marching band [insert band geek joke here]! In the end, two of the guys never showed up, which created lots of leftovers. Did these guys never hear of something called RSVP? I was so tired from all of the cooking that I didn't have energy to feign interest in the third pick of the draft and his impact on the defensive line.

I napped for nearly 4 hours while the guys were outside doing the manly thing. You know - grunting, shouting, expelling bodily gas, watching TV, and playing sports-related video games. I bet I could kick their collective asses in Final Fantasy VII though! The sports revelry ended around at around 6 p.m. when the guys left. Guess who cleaned up!

Being that today turned into a gorgeous day, I decided to take advantage of the weather. However, Josh wanted to stay in and watch the 158th pick of the NFL draft and watch the Yankees game. I went to SoHo to pick up a new eye shadow for my friend's upcoming wedding. I found exactly what I was looking for at MAC.

I had a bit of a horror experience at Sephora on Thursday when I got back from work. It was a grand opening of the downtown location, so I figured I'd check it out. A salesgirl pounced on me when I said I was looking for makeup appropriate for a wedding. I told her to stay with the peachy/earthy tones and she said she would. And then here comes a smear of GREEN. I figured I'd let her finish and see the horror she imposed on me. It got especially forboding when she was painting on the eyeliner. She kept repeating, "This eyeliner looks A-MAZING!" Never mind that she had a couple friends waiting to chat with her (a bit inappropriate the first day of the job. At least I wasn't at the gyno's office being gawked at). When I saw my eyes in the mirror, I had to keep myself from making a face. With all that painting and 4 different shades of eyeshadow, it looked like a pale yellow layer on my entire eyelid with the blackest eyelinder that extended past my eye. Whoa! Way too much! I told her the look wasn't appropriate with what I had told her about the wedding. Yeah, thanks for listening at all! Really, don't take advice from a makeup artist whose makeup you would never wear.

Anyway, at MAC, I had a really nice makeup artist who showed me how to apply the makeup. I actually bought more than I set out to buy in the first place. After that, I decided to check out Anthropologie, where I found a sale nook they hid by their fitting rooms. I found this perfume I love from Stacked Style called Baroque Bleu and bought it for $20 instead of the retail price of $45.

And then it was time to go back home, eat leftovers, and then watch my Sunday night TV. Yay, Grey's Anatomy!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wow that's a menu! sounds fantastic, even if there was football-watching involved.

btw, congrats to Josh on his Teach America thing!