Saturday, June 03, 2006

Cupcake Test Drive



Our department is having yet another party in a few weeks. We had two at the end of May and we're probably going to have three this month. My VP's invitation said, "If anyone chooses to bring baked goods (you know who you are) or wine or anything, please let me know." For the last two parties, I've brought in a blueberry cake and my chocolate chip cookies. I didn't have any other dessert recipes appropriate for a big office party, so I figured I'd trot out a new recipe.

The problem is: I don't like bringing in a first-time recipe to social functions. I have a fear of fecking up a recipe and exposing others to its badness. Therefore, I must try recipes out first before their official debut. Think of it as quality control.

Last night, I decided to try making Ina Garten's vanilla cupcakes and topping them with Magnolia's chocolate buttercream. I remember when baking was a huge production for me and my prep time took much longer than the recipes stated. Now I've got my methods down pat and I find that I bake a lot more easily. You might wonder why I would make both the cupcakes and frosting from scratch when both are readily available in box/tub form. I don't like the way cakes taste when they're from boxed mixes. It's easier to tell a fake cake when it's vanilla as opposed to chocolate. The vanilla tastes artificial and no matter how long you bake it, there's always a lingering taste of raw batter. The frosting also tastes artificial and usually too sweet and heavy.

The vanilla cupcakes turned out lovely, although I think I put too much batter in the cups because they overflowed and became flat-topped. The tops were crispy yet chewy at the same time and the cake had body that could hold up to frosting better than the too-soft boxed mix cupcakes.

I had to modify the chocolate buttercream recipe a bit. The recipe was for a more creamy frosting, and it seemed like there wasn't enough when I was done making it. It also looked too runny for my taste, so I threw in more confectioner's sugar. In the end, I had a chocolate buttercream that reminded me of chocolate mousse. It was light and wasn't too sweet, thanks to the melted semi-sweet chocolate.

After Josh declared the cupcakes a success, I brought the rest to my cousin's house today for a family gathering, where the kiddies smeared their noses with frosting.

I can't wait to make them again!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

nice pic!!

and they look super yummy. yellow cupcakes with chocolate frosting are one of those things that are just so classically good I always wonder why I bother making anything else.