Monday, May 29, 2006

Culture, Part 2



I guess I spoke too soon about exposing Josh to more culture since we went to the Met a few weeks ago. Josh's family came to NYC yesterday with the plan of viewing the ships docked for Fleet Week. However, they arrived so early that they viewed the ships already and walked across the Brooklyn Bridge and back before our meeting time of noon at the South Street Seaport. We wound up going to the Met on my company's corporate membership. Yay job perks!

Now I enjoy going to the museum, but I don't stay more than an hour. I tend to wander through the galleries randomly and then leave. I also don't read the little explanation cards at each item because I don't really go there to learn. I just like the feeling of walking through the exhibits and viewing the art in passing. We were in the museum over two hours and Josh's mother read all the cards.

I got bored... then hungry... then starving.

In the end, I piped up about my tummy and it turns out that Josh and his dad were hungry as well, so we made our way downtown to Little Italy, where we had reservations at Da Nico. I've found that the restaurants in Little Italy are just a tourist trap, and I've found better Italian food far from that neighborhood, but Da Nico's changed my mind. The food and service were great, but the free zeppoles at the end of the meal were not (you're better off going to a street fair). If you ever visit Da Nico's give their spaghetti carbonara a try. It's awesome.

After Josh's parents left, I went up the roof of my building and read for a while. It was lovely, relaxing, and most importantly, quiet.

No comments: