Saturday, February 03, 2007

Craftbar

Today, I found out Josh wanted to have a Superbowl party. Good thing I ordered two racks of ribs. We didn't have much advance warning, so we had to make the most out of today. However, we had just agreed to have dinner with Josh's parents before all of this was decided. They were supposed to come out to Brooklyn for dinner after they took in a Broadway show, but we moved it to Manhattan instead so I could pick up some ingredients for the party.

Josh's mom rejected Primitivo Osteria, our usual go-to place when we don't feel like spending big bucks, so I scrambled to find a place in the Union Square area that had an open table at 6 p.m. on a Saturday. I wound up choosing Craftbar, since Boss B went there a week ago and said it was great. Citysearch and Menupages show a lot of negative ratings about the place, in both food and service, so I got more and more worried that it would suck and Josh's mom would complain about spending all that money for crappy food.

It turns out I had nothing to worry about. I liked everything I ordered, which included the pecorino fondue with honey, the veal ricotta meatballs, and the brown sugar cake. I think I'd read complaints about all of those items, and I didn't find anything wrong with them. Josh liked his food, but he said that the portions were small. I thought the portions were fine. I was full, but not overly stuffed. Our servings at Blue Water Grill last night weren't much different sizewise. The entrée was the same; there was a little more of the sides at BWG though.

Ah well, at least Josh's mom didn't complain too much about the food.

No comments: