Wednesday, February 14, 2007

Near disaster on V-Day

So we had some pitiful excuse for a nor'easter blow through today. It was done by the time I left the office early (my bosses were nice and told me to go home).

When I got home, Josh asked me if I just wanted to get a pizza and I'm always for leaving cooking until the next day. Since our stoop hadn't been shoveled yet, it was really dangerous to go up and down the steps, as evidenced by my near slipping as I tried to get inside this evening. Our landlord put up a sign advising for us to exit the building through the garden apartment entrance. However, you were shit out of luck if you wanted to enter through those doors.

So Josh and I left through the garden apartment doors. Inside the vestibule, we couldn't open the door to the outside because it had been blocked by a buildup of frozen rain/snow. We turned around to enter the building again, only to find that the door had locked behind us (as it's supposed to do). Our keys for the main front door didn't work on the lower door, so we were stuck in a 4x4 foot vestibule. On Valentine's Day—not that Josh and I ever do anything for V-Day anyways as he eschews the Hallmark cultivated holiday. We also didn't have a cell phone.

But the craving for pizza gave Josh new strength and he shoulder-rammed the outer door into opening. We escaped the vestibule and have learned our lesson.

Take the dangerous stoop steps instead.

2 comments:

julieree said...

okay. that would give me major claustrophobia. glad you escaped ok!

Anonymous said...

I agree with Julieree I would have freaked out Thank goodness for Josh's new found strength strengthened by the idea of warm pizza!