Monday, August 22, 2005

Cruise Post #1: How it all began

A few months ago, Josh's parents decided to go on a cruise to celebrate their wedding anniversary. They wanted Josh and me to go along to keep them company. Conversation with a party of consisting of each other and their younger son probably would've gotten stale after fifteen minutes. Josh's parents wanted to take me along as a birthday present.

I've never been offered such an extravagant birthday present, and Josh's parents are not even my family members. I tried to refuse because I didn't want to have any obligations to them and have to feel like I had to be an obedient daughter to them. I haven't married into their family yet! As you can figure out, I agreed to go on the cruise. Refusing so much would probably have looked rude after a while.

It turns out that Josh's parents wanted to join other family members for the cruise (Josh's cousins' family). They wound up deciding on taking the Carnival Destiny to the Southern Caribbean. I preferred Royal Caribbean because Josh and I had such a great time last year. However, Josh's uncle insisted on it being Carnival because he wanted to go to Aruba. Unfortunately, RC didn't offer Aruba for a port-of-call during the week we wanted, so the choices were automatically limited.

I tried calling Josh's uncle to give an opinion and offer the name of the cruise travel agent we used for our cruise, and he shot me down, acted condescending to me, and patronized me. I told Josh afterward that his uncle better hope that I don't sit across from him at the dinner table, lest he want the daggers from my eyeballs lodged in his smug face.

We were already off to a bad start and hadn't even stepped off dry land.

No comments: