Sunday, August 28, 2005

Sweet freedom

Yesterday, I decided to read one of my numerous work-gained books on the roof since it was gorgeous outside. When I got up there, I saw two NYLS students, one from my applied ANAL-ysis group of first semester. It turns out that she didn't realize that I wasn't in class this week, and she asked me why I decided not to go back. I told her that I got a good job and the other student asked me if I planned on going back after some time to obtain my law degree. I gave him an emphatic "no" and my former group member said, "You were that unhappy?"

I told her that I wasn't that proud of what I accomplished during first year and I wasn't really interested in what I learned.

What I didn't say: I don't think I'm passionate enough about the law to force myself to endure the stress and frustration of going to law school. In order to survive all of that, you need a genuine interest in the law... or you just have to be violently passionate about becoming the next asshole lawyer on the block (which, I guarantee you, a few of my former classmates are already on their way to becoming).

Having said my part to my former classmates, I left them with their laptops, highlighters, and heavy textbooks so I could enjoy my book in a lounge chair on a beautiful day, sipping my iced latté.

No comments: