Saturday, May 13, 2006

Delicious Saturday

I had such a lovely day!

Today, I met Jennie and her twin sister Julie in Park Slope (Brooklyn). We went shopping for bags we don't really need at Brooklyn Industries. I bought my mother one of these in black for Mother's Day. She's always looking for a big bag to go to her fittings with, so it's a cool and practical gift. I have a smaller version of the same bag and I love it. I figure that if my mom doesn't like it, I'll have a new bag!

After that, we went to La Bagel Delight to pick up lunch. I ordered a whole wheat bagel with bacon-herb cream cheese. We went to Prospect Park to enjoy our bagels with an impromptu picnic. Well... it wasn't that impromptu because Jennie was prepared with a plastic picnic mat for us to park our tooshies. Thanks Jennie!

Back at Jennie and Julie's apartment, we lazed about. Julie was thinking about making a lovely lemon cake that looked yummy in the magazine. Alas, she wasn't actually going to make the cake today (just the lemon curd), so I went back to Manhattan.

I met Josh on W. 14th, and we grabbed a quick dinner at A Salt and Battery, a large order of cod bites and chips with curry sauce. I love the way you can go somewhere in NYC and feel like you're somewhere else, like eating fish and chips in London. From there, it was a quick jaunt in the rain that everyone's been expecting to Balducci's. It reminded me of Dean and Deluca, only less snooty. Josh and I picked up some Rembrandt cheese, which is an aged gouda. It has a sharp taste followed by a fruity aftertaste. I'm also in love with the creamy yet crystalline texture of gouda (I'm going through an apples with cheese phase right now).

My day would've been complete if Julie actually made that lemon cake. I'm counting on a piece for Monday morning, Jennie!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I didn't even get around to making the cake til Sunday afternoon--was too lazy on saturday! Glad you liked it though, I'll send another piece with jennie tomorrow--we'll never eat it all up!

i love aged gouda too. If you haven't tried Old Amsterdam yet, you definitely should. Also Prima Donna, which is less aged and subsequently less intense but still super tasty!

thanks for trekking out to brooklyn to see us!