Thursday, May 11, 2006

What happens in Bloomsburg...

On Tuesday, I left for my first "business" trip. It wasn't so much a business trip as a learning trip. Our bosses sent Amber, Jennie, Shirley, and me to Bloomsburg, PA to visit one of the printing plants we use.

My Boss, P, told me horror stories about the Days Inn he stayed at when he visited the same plant. "Stay away from room 17. The water changes from hot to cold every three seconds." However, when we pulled into Bloomsburg, we were staying at the Inn at Turkey Hill. It's this gorgeous bed & breakfast and all the rooms are slightly different (i.e. colors, headboards, decorations, etc.). I felt so grown up, having my own room to myself. Actually, I was slightly scared because I'd never stayed in a hotel by myself. I considered packing a stuffed animal, but then I wouldn't have had room for much else in my overnight bag. Shampoo trumps stuffed animal.

For dinner, I had a seared tuna encrusted with three colors of tortilla chips for my appetizer. For my entrée, I had kobe beef flank steak, which was served with maple bread pudding and grilled poached pear. My dessert, crème brulée, was the most mundane part of the meal. The wine flowed freely, and I managed three glasses (more than I usually have) during the evening. Boss B would be proud. However, I didn't go nuts because I was afraid of saying something stupid, like promising contracts or something irresponsible like that. I can't believe my room was only $89 for the night. I realized in the morning that the slate floor in the entryway and bathroom was heated. Swank!

While on the plant tour, I learned a lot. It really helps to see the process that we so blythely spend thousands of dollars on with each purchase order we issue. I got extra giddy when I saw one of my books on the binding line (where the text block gets glued to the hardcover case and the jacket is folded onto the book). I'm a total dork.

I tried knitting on the way back to NY, since I felt reading while riding shotgun would've been awfully rude. My eyes were too tired from not getting enough sleep, so I only managed a few rows.

Sorry your knitting entertainment stopped, Amber!

No comments: