Tuesday, May 03, 2005

HP my ass

I just purchased an HP PSC 1315 printer-scanner-copier. It was on sale, and I've always liked HP printers.

Lo and behold, my USB print server can't add it. At first I thought it was because I couldn't find the driver, but when I went to the HP site to download one directly, I found out that the printer does not support wireless technology. I called technical support anyway, in case they didn't mean that it was incompatible with a print server. It's not like I was asking for Bluetooth technology in my $99 printer.

Right now, I'm on hold to speak with a manager for the second time (the first time I was disconnected because my battery died). The tech support guy told me that I should search for a wireless printer if that's what I want, but I don't see why I should have to do that when my old HP from 5 years ago didn't even gasp in protest at being hooked up to a print server for wireless compatability.

I told the guy that I was outraged that a printer I purchased in 2005 can't hook up to a print server when my old printer that was made when wireless technology wasn't widespread like it is today. I told him that the HP site, as well as other retail sites don't say that the printer is not compatible with print servers. Apparently, the HP Shopping website says that it has no networking capability although the regular HP site makes no comment about this. I complained for a while that I was angry that I wasn't informed that it wasn't network capable. I guess I'm demanding too much for HP to have the same information on all its sites.

Son of a bitch! I just got disconnected after 10 minutes of "transfer time" to speak to a manager! Fresh anger is flowing through my veins.

5 minutes later...

I just got connected to my third tech support person of the day who wanted me to state my story all over again and I told her to stop asking me and just get me the supervisor. This time, it worked. Apparently, there's some moronic way of making the printer work with a print server, and that's to apply the generic driver for the HP 560C model, which is half the printer of my old one, the 895cse. I asked the guy if using the driver would compromise the quality of the printing, and of course, it would. I'd get 300 dpi, which was half the dpi of my old printer.

In the end, I'm keeping both printers. For $80 I'll deal with the fact that I can't print wirelessly and keep my old printer, which works wirelessly, until all the ink runs out. Throughout this whole 2 1/2 hour ordeal of being constantly angry, I think Josh was amused to see me angry at somebody other than him.

No comments: