Wednesday, May 11, 2005

I've learned something this year... I think

I've finished my 1L. Yes, it was as bad, but I don't think worse than what I'd heard before beginning law school.

The contracts final was... to briefly described: oh so very wrong. I wanted to crack up in hysterical laughter when the proctor handed out this huge packet of paper, which turned out to be our supplementary documents. This sheaf of papers was so thick, I think I could have killed a classmate with it. When I opened the essay questions, I wanted to use the supplementary documents to kill myself.

I've learned that I can survive moot court even being unsure of myself and doubting everything I've prepared. I've learned that it's true absolute assholes or rather, ass-kissers abound in law school, more than I'd ever seen in previous educational experiences. I've learned that the proctors treat you like you're five years-old no matter how many tests you've taken. I've also learned that the proctors think we pay $30,000 in tuition, which is the figure I wish we were paying. I've learned that I break out in hives if under hideous stress.

In the end, I'm not sure if I learned much about the law this year. I think I forgot a lot of what I learned first semester.

I believe that I, as a post 1L/pre 2L student, can be described best in Homestar Runner's words:

"Slightly used and mostly confused!"

No comments: