Friday, December 16, 2005

Gift-giving tactics

I love the holidays! I haven't done much shopping though. Originally, I planned to get Josh's picture with Eli Manning (taken this summer) matted and framed. I realized that framing is an expensive thing, even in New Jersey. Being in Manhattan is only going to make that lots worse. Last week, I got a better gift idea for Josh.

Josh had been asking me what I was going to do for his present, so I decided to throw him off the trail. I told him that I'd tell him my gift idea if he told me his. He agreed, so I told him that I was going to have his picture with Eli Manning framed. He told me he was going to get a couple's massage for us. I was a little disappointed with that because massages are over and done with in one session. I picked up Josh's gift during my lunch break a couple days ago and wrapped it up. I let him decide if he wanted to open it when I got home that night, and of course, he opened it.

I gave Josh a Shun Classic Granton Santoku knife. He was definitely surprised when he got it, so my strategy worked. We took the knife for a spin by chopping an onion, and it was so easy. The slices fell right off the blade. But then I figured that it was so easy because onions are so soft, so we tried carrots. It felt like we were cutting through soft butter! It was definitely a good investment because Josh might be inclined to cook. Even if he doesn't cook more, I've got a knife I love too! Ha ha, it's almost as self-satisfying as Josh's "gift" of a couple's massage to me. At least the knife lasts longer!

That very same night, Josh and I went out shopping at the South Street Seaport, which just happens to have a Coach store. Josh and I went in (after I made a fool out of myself because I couldn't open the door). Originally, Josh had been saying that for Christmas, he'd get me the bag I've been lusting after for the past several months. I bounced up and down when I modeled it in front of the mirror. Josh shook his head and said, "How can a bag make you so happy?" Eh, I guess it's a girl thing. I was saying how I'd use it starting the next day, but unfortunately, the last bag was the floor model. They asked if we wanted to take that, but there was no way I was going to take a bag that a bunch of strangers had pawed over. It's one thing if you're buying a $20 bag at Macy's, but if you're paying big bucks for one, you'd better get a new one. At least, that's the way I feel, because I'm one of those people who paws all over bags she has no intention of buying because they're so out of my budget. The bag will be here before Christmas though, on Tuesday!

Josh said, "Tuesday is going to be the best day of your life. You're going to get your bag and find out who the Carver is on Nip/Tuck."

No comments: