Friday, December 30, 2005

Post office shenanigans

I went to the post office this afternoon to mail a stuffed animal out to my cousin, counting on there being a priority mail box for me to pack said animal into. I only have Fresh Direct boxes at home and when I tried to mail something out with it, the USPS worker told me that I couldn't mail something out with a business logo on it unless the contents of the box were actually from that business. I remember having to use brown tape to cover up the logos that day, and had no desire to repeat that performance.

Unfortunately, the USPS stopped providing the larger box I remembered and has cheaply provided a flatter rectangular one and a small cube. I was perusing the selection of boxes, which happened to be next to the two policemen on duty in the post office.

ME
[picking up rectangular box]

COP
That's a rectangle shaped box.

MY INNER MONOLOGUE
Do I look like a dumb little girl?
[picking up cube box]

COP
That one's more like a square.

ME
Thanks.

I brought both boxes to a table and figured that the box would be better and started stuffing the poor toy into it, scrunching it up so horribly that I felt bad for it. I stopped when I heard laughing and a high pitched voice behind me.

COP
[in high pitched cartoony voice]
Oh no! Let me out! Don't put me in here!

I got really embarrassed because people started looking at me stuffing this huge toy into a tiny box. Maybe they thought I was cheap (trying to take advantage of the flat rate, which wasn't much of a deal), or like the cops, thought I was stupid. After I finally left, I waved to the cops, and one (I think did the cartoon voice) of them said, "Bye Sweetheart." I don't know whether to be enraged or just grateful not to be the butt of some USPS/NYPD joke anymore.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

were the cops flirting with you? that's so weird!