Saturday, March 19, 2005

Vacation: Day 2


Urgh... too tired to put my tongue back in my mouth. Posted by Hello

Who needs to buy a plane ticket for spring break elsewhere when spring has sprung in NYC?

I haven't been seeing much of New York City since I started law school, so I'm taking advantage of spring break and spending a lot of time walking around.

Today I met P and his dog, Kelly, in Greenwich Village after a nightmarish trip from downtown. They're doing all kinds of subway station renovations by me and I can never tell when a train is unavailable.

We had lunch at Ony. I had fresh ramen for the first time. I had the Hakata Ramen. Don't laugh at me for having ramen at a restaurant because it is definitely not your $0.25 grocery store ramen. It turns out they have Ony locations in Japan as well, so I figured this must be the real thing. P said he used to eat these noodles all the time when he lived in Japan because they're tasty and affordable.

After that, we went to Le Petit Puppy on Christopher St. to look at the New York puppies for sale. P almost got a third dog, but I told him getting another puppy just a few months after the second puppy would be like popping out 3 babies within 10 months of each other. The $2500 price tag probably affected my opinion as well (and I thought puppies were expensive in NJ).

We bought some dessert at Li-Lac Chocolates. I had a piece of chocolate-coconut fudge. I had passed it while walking yesterday and it turns out P had been looking for Li-lac since it changed locations recently.

We walked uptown, stopping at a flea market and my bakery supply shop along the way. We parted ways at Union Square. I walked through the farmer's market, where I ordered a windowsill herb garden containing thyme, basil, oregano, and parsley. I hope the cats don't knock it down. I was about to head back home when I noticed that Whole Foods had finally opened its Union Square location, so I took a walk around to check it out. I tasted the best parmigiano reggiano at a sampling station. I was given a piece dipped with a tiny bit of balsamic vinegar and I was in heaven. Needless to say, a wedge of that cheese wound up in my basket.

Tonight, I'll be baking with a new recipe: raspberry-cream cheese breakfast buns.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

at least you get a spring break =P hope you had fun at the met... i haven't been back there in a while.

Peihan