Wednesday, March 23, 2005

Weekday update

Forget what I said about spring having sprung. It's raining/slushing right now and I think it'll be doing so for the rest of break.

A few days ago, Josh and I went to our go-to restaurant for a late dinner. When our server came to ask us about the drinks, Josh asked for a Long Island Iced Tea, and I wanted water. When I said water, I saw the waiter's expression change. He probably thought we were a couple of kids who came to a restaurant that was too fancy for them, jumping to the conclusion that we were uncultured and unsophisticated, judging by Josh's Nike shirt and NY Giants knit hat.

When he brought the drinks, Josh's glass held a regular iced tea. I asked, "Isn't that a regular iced tea?" The server said yes. I said, "He ordered a Long Island Iced Tea." The server said, "We don't make those here." At that point, I was annoyed because I knew they did make that drink since Josh has ordered it before. The server had misheard Josh and didn't want to admit his mistake, so he figured we were dumb and would accept his explanation.

"Actually, they do make Long Island Iced Teas here. We've ordered it several times before," we informed him. The server left to check with the bartender. He brought the correct drink back with him. He was making his escape after plunking the glass down when I asked him what soup was available for the day and only when I asked did he tell me the soup and the fact that the restaurant had run out of a number of dishes. Normally, when we have a good server, we're told right away what the soup is and any outages.

After the tip we left him, I doubt that server likes us any more than he did when we first sat down.

No comments: