Saturday, June 25, 2005

Restaurant Week

It's Restaurant Week again in New York and I planned my reservation weeks ago for Blue Fin. However, I was an idiot while planning and didn't realize that Blue Fin was only doing the prix fixe for lunch. Yesterday, I was able to make reservations at Zoë for that evening. Josh and I have been there three times for brunch and figured that there was no better time to try their dinner menu than Restaurant Week. As another first, I also requested to be seated at the chef's table, which is more of a counter that runs along their open kitchen, which is located in the back of the restaurant.

I'm kind of happy that I goofed on the Blue Fin reservation because we had such a great time dining at Zoë. Josh and I were the only people sitting at the chef's counter. We were able to see the organization and precision that goes into our dishes from our seats right in the action. Josh says that he never wants to sit anywhere else except the counter when we go back. We actually got to speak with the chefs (when they weren't too busy).

For my appetizer, I had the Chilled Tomato-Rhubarb Soup with Goat Cheese Panna Cotta & Roasted Telicherry Oil. This soup tasted so refreshing and was full of flavor. The goat cheese complimented the tomato and rhubarb perfectly. For my entree, I had Charred Cornish Hen served with White Corn Ragout & Smoked Tomato-Basil Butter. I was surprised at how much food I got because I've heard people complain about Cornish hen usually leaving them hungry. The hen was cooked just right: juicy and tender. For dessert, I had a milk chocolate trifle that was composed of four layers (one was strawberries). I loved the way it was served in a little frosty glass displaying the different layers. The dessert wasn't heavy and wasn't overly sweet. I tried to eat slowly to make dessert last so my evening at Zoe wouldn't have to end.

Josh had the oysters to start. He had the Crispy Maryland Soft Shell Crabs served with Green Tomato Marmalade, Citrus Salad, and Pea Greens. For dessert, he had the banana tart, which was topped with whipped mascarpone cheese and coconut. Of course, everything he had was delicious as well. He also had the $15 prix fixe menu wine selection, which provided a glass of wine to compliment each course. Surprisingly, I liked one of the wines, a chenin blanc (I'm not a wine drinker).

Josh and I were surprised at the end because one of the sous chefs brought over a plate with ten mini cookies, saying that they were compliments of the chef. Excellent! There were five types of cookies, two of each type. I remember chocolate, chocolate-chip, lemon, and oatmeal raisin. The last cookie was another chocolate variation, but I couldn't pin it down.

At first, I was a little afraid our Restaurant Week experience was going to be a disappointment because of the post this tool wrote. He'd gone to Union Square Cafe for Restaurant Week and complained about close to the whole experience he had. I've been to Union Square Cafe twice, although never for Restaurant Week and haven't been let down. He also complained about the price of the prix fixe menu for Restaurant Week, saying that $20 for lunch and $35 for dinner is still expensive. I think the prices are quite reasonable when you compare them the cost of having all three courses off the regular menu of an upscale New York restaurant. I don't think any corners were cut to produce the prix fixe menu we had last night. I told Josh about the post and he said that the author was being a Harvard snob. Most likely, nothing would ever be good enough for him because he went to law school at Hah-vahd.

Books purloined yesterday: 7
Books amassed: 44

No comments: