Monday, June 13, 2005

Sweat and the city

Something doesn't strike the right note with me when it's disgustingly hot at 8:30 a.m. Normally, I'll walk a couple blocks to catch the subway. I go down into the station, smelling that distinctive eau de NYC subway station and wait impatiently for the subway to come.

I've heard people complain about taking the subway, but I can't imagine walking being much better in this weather. At least the train cars are air conditioned.

I spoke too soon about that air conditioning. Of course, the 3 train I caught didn't have working air conditioning. I wondered if it was possible for the subway to be hotter than the station platform. After a few seconds, I decided that it was indeed, very possible. For once, I was happy to get off the train to make my transfer because the platform was MUCH cooler than the train car I'd been in. Fortunately, my connecting train was air conditioned, not that I was on the train that long.

Books purloined today: 1
Books amassed: 15

No comments: