Thursday, September 01, 2005

Cruise Post #11: Would you like some whine with your Nocheese?

Most nights, Josh would have wine with his dinner. He was able to buy a bottle and the dining room staff would keep the remainder on hand for the next night so he and his dad wouldn't have to purchase wine by the glass. Josh liked to spend a lot of time perusing the wine list and talking about the wines he likes.

MAMA'S BOY
Have you ever taken a wine tasting class?

JOSH
No, I've always wanted to take one. I couldn't fit it into my schedule during my senior year.

MAMA'S BOY
You should definitely go. I've been to a wine tasting seminar. My company treated me this year. It was one of the few things they did for us considering they didn't pay us. I learned how to drink wine and detect its undertones, like berry or oak.

This admission makes me think that MB did not go to Aureole in order to sing its praises over and over again at the dinner table. It's doubtful that his frugal nature would allow him to throw $79 for a dinner there.

JOSH
Would you like some wine then?

MAMA'S BOY
No, I don't want any. I do like pinot grigio though.

Am I crazy, or isn't pinot grigio a wine? With all the wine knowledge that MB was mouthing off about, he didn't offer an opinion about what wine to order.

COMPUTER COUSIN
My company took me out to dinner one night and I drank so much wine that I got drunk and was hungover the next morning.

JOSH
Would you like some wine then?

COMPUTER COUSIN
No, I don't want any. I think Labatt beer is the best.

With all the wine-talk coming from the Nocheese boys, I'd think they would have had some wine. They both refused to taste any of the wines Josh ordered that week. How could I be surprised about this? After all, Mr. Nocheese does not drink wine either, and his boys are quickly turning into his spitting image.

No comments: