Sunday, September 25, 2005

Job perks

The other day, I was turning onto my street and spotted a young woman walking several feet ahead of me. She was a familiar sight to me.

She was walking at a brisk pace (some might find it to be a "huffy" kind of walk), bouncing along despite the large backpack over her shoulders, bulging out as though she really packed the kitchen sink. There was a laptop bag hanging from her arm, swinging as she walked to reach her overpriced Manhattan apartment as quickly as possible to better kill herself by imbedding her civil procedure textbook into her skull.

Oh wait, I'm thinking about what I wanted to do when I was walking as fast as possible away from law school. That girl was probably going back home to passionately study civil procedure and make helpful study aids like legal flashcards or something like that. I never really bought into the whole flashcard business anyways.

Anyways, on a Sunday night last semester, I'd be killing myself so I could watch Desperate Housewives and Grey's Anatomy. I used to have first period contracts with the professor from hell. Tonight, I got to enjoy those season premieres without worrying whether I'd be prepared for my Monday.

Josh's mom has been dropping hints of her displeasure at my career path change. She said to me the other week, "So, do you still like your job?" Even if I didn't like it, I wouldn't run back to the arms of law school begging it to take me back. There's something different in her eyes when she looks at me. I can't decide if it's disappointment or a loss of respect. I don't really care what she says because I can bet you a million bucks that I'm happier working full-time at my job than she is working part-time at hers.

The funny thing is: my own mother has been more enthusiastic about what I've been doing career-wise than she was about me going to law school.

No comments: