Saturday, September 24, 2005

Not all is lost

Josh and I went out to dinner last night at Perbacco Cafe. I wanted to grab a bowl of seafood stew from a restaurant within walking distance. Instead, Josh wanted to try this Italian place out. When I found out which train we had to take in order to get there, I began having doubts. On our way to the subway station, it started raining. When we got out of the subway, we had to walk seven blocks in the rain to get to this restaurant, which was out in the middle of nowhere.

Since Josh sat on the inside along the wall, I kept getting bumped into by the servers for the tables on either side of us. The appetizers were good, but the pasta was mediocre. Primitivo Osteria has better pasta. Josh also didn't notice that they didn't take credit cards. I wound up walking out to get cash from a nearby ATM. $2 to take out cash???? Ridiculous!

We skipped dessert so we could get the hell out of that place and walked up to Veniero's, an Italian bakery/cafe a few blocks north. Finally, Josh and I were able to have a conversation (Perbacco was hugely loud) and sit next to each other. I had this fantastic slice of almond torte. It was filled with layers of yellow sponge cake and apricot jam, covered with a crust of baked almond paste. Yummy! It definitely redeemed the night. The hot chocolate was not as good as Ferrara's though.

After dessert, we had a lovely walk to Union Square in the cool weather. I can't wait for Fall to really start!

No comments: