Sunday, February 20, 2005

Here, there, everywhere

Yesterday, I traveled to Brooklyn by myself for the first time. Don't laugh at me and tell me it's not a big deal since I live in Manhattan. I haven't even been to Central Park yet and it's just a short subway ride away. Yes, it's pathetic, but that's law school for you. When I have time, all I want to do is pass out for a few days. I made it to my aunt's house after one subway transfer and one bus transfer. I was a little worried while on the bus because I didn't know where the stops were, so I waited until I saw a landmark close to my aunt's house, got out there, and walked the rest of the way. Yup, good food and good times playing with my kiddie cousins.

I had a productive day today. It started a little later than planned, thanks to Josh and his sleeping schedule, but we arrived in Hoboken (via the PATH) a little after noon to meet with our classmate and his two Cavalier King Charles spaniels. After reviewing Property for three hours, we felt like we'd accomplished something and the three of us said goodbye to the puppies in order to go back to Manhattan for some well-deserved (although bad-for-you) food.

First, we had fish and chips at A Salt and Battery (an appropriately named restaurant for law school students to dine at). The fries weren't as good as Les Halles, but slap on a little salt and vinegar and everything's good. The chip shop is located a couple doors down from Tea and Sympathy, which was packed. I peeked through the window and saw people have tea and little cakes at quaint tables. There's also a British specialty food shop next door. Hmm, there seems to be a concentration of British stuff on that street - I must tell Scott.

After finishing our late lunch/early dinner, we went to Magnolia for some overpriced (but good) cupcakes, after waiting in a line that snaked around the corner in 16-degree weather. Thankfully it moved fast, but as I was in line, I watched the staff constantly bringing in new pans of cupcakes and whisking away the empty pans. We had to wonder how many cupcakes they sell in a day, considering they brought in about 8 pans (we're talking about those half-sheet jelly roll pans) of cupcakes while we were on line.

Oh-ho, but we're not done yet! While walking around, our classmate mentioned this great martini bar that makes its own potato chips, which you get for free, so we had to pop in for a drink. Our bill for two apple martinis, one amaretto sour, and one gin & tonic came to $24, thanks to happy hour (And those potato chips were good).

All in all, it was a good day with good company, and we weren't total slackers.

No comments: