Monday, February 07, 2005

I'm a big kid, look what I can do...


I can wear big kid pants too! Posted by Hello

I changed my mind about buying a suit, as you can see. I caved in to all the "You want to look professional" advice from fellow law students/lawyer cousins rather than being a hopeless penny pincher. Of course, I decided to go shopping for a suit right after the weekend ended.

The stores down at South Street Seaport close at 7:00, so I left my apartment at 6:20 (unwisely). First, J. Crew, which disappointed me to no end because their website had suit skirts. Then, Ann Taylor, where I thought everything would be seriously out of my price range. Lo and behold, there was a sale sign that my bargain hunting senses homed in on within 2 minutes. I now have a suit that was originally priced at $400 (not including NY's horrifying 8.625% sales tax) for $250 ($230 before the blood curdling tax). Scary.... I'm grown up. I bought a real suit.

I did have some issues with the jacket. Let's just say one was tight across the chest and the next size up was a bag on me. My boobage is always my downfall while shopping. I went with the boob emphasizing jacket in the end, to Josh's approval. Of course, the jacket wasn't the last bump on the road to buying a suit. I realized I left my credit card at home while I was paying as the store was closing. Smooth. S'okay - I paid with my debit card, which will fine me $5 for having insufficient funds in my checking account.

I got my hair cut today, in a pre-Chinese New Year tradition. It was the most painful hair cut I'd ever had. My stylist used this method of holding my hair up and sliding his scissors into it, like when you glide your scissors to cut across a roll of wrapping paper. Every time he did it, the scissors would yank each strand individually. It felt like I had 30 Elis chewing and yanking on my hair at once. I told him to trim my face frames to just above chin length, and I was slightly alarmed when they turned out closer to nose length, but shrugged it off, figuring the hair was wet and would look better when dry. Nope. He wound up trimming some more off at the end, and now I've got long bangs rather than face frames that won't stay behind my ears and if allowed to swing free, tickle me right above my lips. Needless to say, I will be hiding my "bangs" until they grow back out again.

Worst...hair cut.... ever!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

You think that's scary? I got a non-black suit!

Anonymous said...

Non-black is actually usually preferable :) Charcoal gray is a nice choice for a lot of men...for women, a bit of color or detail helps make you stand out.

Anonymous said...

Oh. I know non-black is preferable for the role....It's just weird because it is so very very non-eep.

Dora said...

It's the anti-eep.