Saturday, February 05, 2005

Nice people can't be nice

The nightmare wasn't so horrible because it was scary, but because it was realistic. I think I had the nightmare because Josh told me about this story. In response to the story, I told him that it was impossible to do genuinely nice things for strangers anymore because it'll hurt you in the end. If you give your neighbor a cookie, he might eat it and complain to you later that you poisoned him, whether it was your fault or not. I've heard people say that you can't even help an elderly person up if they fall down because they'll probably sue you for causing their harm even if you were only trying to help them to their feet. I guess it's strange to be upset about this because I'm going to law school and may someday be helping that old lady sue the person who only wanted to be kind.

Anyways, my nightmare started with Josh and me walking down a busy street, and I noticed a bunch of homeless people and kept walking, as I normally do. I realize that Josh is no longer walking next to me and I look back, seeing Josh give his leather jacket to a homeless guy. Josh rejoins me and tells me that he felt bad. I become angry with him, saying that giving an expensive jacket away like that only makes him look like he has a lot of money and is potentially an easy mark. Sure enough, the homeless guy is following us. The nightmare jumps and Josh and I are leaving a mall at night. Of course, we're parked far away and the lot isn't very well lit. Fortunately, I've got a flashlight (for some strange reason) and we find the car. Just as we open the doors, the same homeless guy appears and yells at us to close the doors. Instead, we jump into the car and slam the doors shut.

I woke up, and my heart was racing. I didn't want to go back to sleep because I was afraid I'd go back to the same dream.

No comments: