Saturday, April 09, 2005

Butterflies

Did I ever mention that I am afraid of butterflies? I'm afraid of all kinds of butterflies: alive, dead, metaphorical, etc. Yes, I know they're harmless and they're pretty, but they're creepy and make my skin crawl.

I remember one night before a first-day-of-school during elementary school, I had a nightmare where I was walking down a street lined with huge trees. I walked up to one that looked funny and when I was closer, I realized the tree looked funny because it was covered with monarch butterflies. Of course, I started to run away and they started flying after me. It took me a while to get back to sleep that night.

Today, the butterflies I'm dealing with are in my stomach. My moot court argument is this Thursday at noon. I just read my opponent's reply brief (replying to my team's brief - duh), and I realize my issue sucks a LOT MORE than I thought it already did (Cindy, good job. Your brief has me shaking in my heels-that-I-wear-only-when-I-wear-my-suit).

I realize that our professor created a scenario with two issues, each one swaying towards a particular side. I also knew that I picked the weaker issue out of the two for my team, so I shouldn't be surprised now. Thank goodness my grade is based on my performance during our moot court, and not whether I win on my issue. However, my performance will probably be dented a bit because I argue after my opponent, so I'll hear all that stuff that'll make me feel as though my argument sucks.

Maybe I should wear earplugs.

No comments: